Sunday, November 8, 2009

In the World of the Food Industry



This blog is posted a bit a late, so I am sorry for that. However, I do find this topic of food and health issues to be a very pressing issue in all aspects of our lives including teaching. There are a few different ways I want to approach this topic since it is so vast. On a personal level, I feel that food infiltrates all aspects of our lives. I never realized how much food and eating habits affect our daily lives until my freshmen year of college, when I was warned about the freshmen fifteen. Ever since then I have kept or at least tried to monitor what I eat and to try to exercise regularly. But as with most people, my weight and eating habits fluctuates with stress and other life factors.
With all the recent controversy and the House passing a Health Care reform bill, I feel as though it is our job as teachers and citizens to keep informed on the food culture and to teach our students to keep informed about their decisions regarding food and exercise. A recent article that I found in the New York Times, helps to give a better understanding of the tensions of health have come to. It is much more than a health issue; it has become a political and social issue as well.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/health/policy/08fat.html?_r=1&ref=health

I think to better understand the social context of food and popular culture we need to understand the huge change that has occurred in popular cultural since the invention of television and such models as Twiggy. The 1950’s classic case was a typical family, in which the mom stayed home to cook dinner and the family ate together every night. Grant it, this may not have been true for every family but as a whole this was the situation. Fast forward fifty years, to two career-oriented parents and kids playing in different sports and activities every night, there is just not enough time for the parent, most likely the mom to sit down and cook a meal and instead they have family dinner in the car going through McDonalds. Today’s lifestyle is clearly much busier and more complex then fifty years ago.


An interesting argument and idea that is mentioned in the New York Times article but also mentioned in Tooning In is that how do we make our personal choices. Some overweight people, as in the court case mentioned, sue or blame McDonald’s or other fast food restaurants for their weight problem. On the other hand, you have diet program after diet program being pushed into our culture every single day. It seems to me that the food industry pressures us to binge eat by getting our drink super sized and then to take these diet pills that will help us lose ten pounds in ten days. The marketing of food and health issues contradicts itself in the media and as consumers it is hard for us to reject this unhealthy pattern of eating. I feel it is our job as teachers to try to the best of our ability to help our students understand the importance of balance between eating and exercise as well. I remember it was either last year or the year before the Minnesota Daily published an article about over-exercising, which is also another issue related to unhealthy eating patterns. http://www.mndaily.com/2008/01/24/overexercising-potentially-dangerous

I think the key is to help students and ourselves understand that balance or the ‘gray area’ is very important. Excessively exercising and dieting does not help your body and healthy issues but also eating unhealthy and not exercising doesn’t fix the problem either. It is central to our lives that we find a healthy way to go about eating and exercising but it is hard with the media pressure along with political and medical pressure as well.

2 comments:

John Oughton said...

Angela,

I too have made some late posts so I feel that it is good and timely for me to make a comment to yours. I grew up in the 1950s and dinner time was a very special family time together, my Mom was a stay at home mom and made nice meals for us that we ate in a dining room. Fast forward to today. My wife and I rushed to a birthday lunch in New Richmond, WI from St. Paul, then back in time so she could work her evening shift as a nurse at United. I had time to start a loaf of bread in the bread machine and we grab some snack food for a late dinner here at 12:15 a.m. monday morning. I was truly lonely around dinner time, but with all my work for school and our class pushed on into the evening with nothing to eat. I did get lonely to the point I called a family member and then a friend for some social time out from my work. This is my wife's weekend to work so I have had two nights home alone.

How important meal times are menat to be for our social interaction and fellowship needs and modern society breaks that up. I suppose we then either don't eat, don't eat well, or over eat because we are alone more, on task and away from family members.

Most of my day has been sitting with trips up and down the stairs doing laundry, but mostly sitting. I am exhausted from that. Thanks for your remembrance of the 1950s family, at least people could try to eat more meals together.

Best to you,

John

Scott Wojtanowski said...

You provided some great resources that really presented this topic from an opposing viewpoint. Reading the NY Times article, I dug through the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance website http://www.naafaonline.com/. Some of the issues they listed on the site included size discrimination consequences as medical and psychological effects, wage disparity, affecting hiring and promotion, and academic options and advancement.

Perhaps being heavier does cause discrimination, and I thought it was interesting to see a group positioning themselves as saying it’s okay to fat, and others should be too was interesting. I like how you connected this to the current health debate.

It is something to really think about, with “Two-thirds of all Americans are overweight or obese. “ http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/health/policy/08fat.html?_r=2&ref=health do we argue that this is unhealthy, or we should accept this. And what has caused this uptick in peoples weight anyway?