Sunday, September 13, 2009

Engaging Popular Culture!?

Popular Culture and Education: Blog 1:


I read the first three chapters of the class book Tooning In: Essays on Popular Culture and Education. I am really interested in this topic and trying to emerge education with popular culture. Right after I was done reading I thought of all the TV shows and MTV and Disney shows that the kids always talk about in class. Besides the media there is also the huge amounts of technological advances. For example, my cousin a third grader at Wayzata already has her own ipod, laptop and cell phone. Also, at the school I am working at a few of the boys have pulled out their cell phones to text and play games. I wish I knew more about the history of public education systems but I feel the integrating of popular culture has skyrocketed within the past fifteen years and many older teachers are not used to or well acquainted with this technology the way younger teachers and students might be. I guess I also thought of within the first chapter of the controversy of the social movements in the 1960s that have greatly impacted popular culture.

The idea of music being important as a social movement is very true and such musicians as Elvis and The Beatles have greatly impacted our popular culture within the first ten years of when the television first came out. I also think that although this popular culture of music may be important to share and relate to students such things as the popular 1990s rap/alternative music and the aggressive lyrics with regards to women, violence and other things. I also thought in chapter two the discussion of the three approaches to popular culture in education to be very interesting. One of the statements that really interested me is on page 18 and it said “Teaching is conducted through media rather than about media.” I think this is a really important statement about the teaching approaches to popular culture and how well teachers integrate popular culture into the classroom and through what means.




I also was thinking of what defines popular culture. There are many representations of popular culture and not only do the teachers have their own view of popular culture in relation to their generation but also to their subject matter and the students themselves have their definition of what popular culture. A good example of this would be sports or politics these things to some people are popular culture and with the degree of openness and communication of these subjects. I feel that teachers have to choose according to their lesson plan and subject matter what they should stream as popular culture. For instance I think of the 1980 hockey team and what the athletic and political tensions that existed during those Olympic games and wonder if that is worth teaching or not.
Also, as in chapter three there is much discussion of what is popular culture according to the diverse populations within the schools. An example of this would be African American music transforming into the hardcore rap of the 1990s. These songs still cause controversy because of their graphic language but yet should it be considered part of a culture that should be taught in a school setting. I think it is important to teach critical analysis of media and popular culture. I feel this would help students engage in popular culture but also examine in an academic sense. The students might also be more involved because it relates directly to their ‘culture.’
Some questions that I have would be what defines popular culture and who gets to decide what should or should not be included in the classroom. I also wonder if the teachers should try to incorporate it into the classroom and what happens if they fail to make their point.

No comments: